Japanese Nuclear Catastrophe - Worse than Chernobyl
MAKING A DIFFERENCE AND HELPING TO PROTECT OUR PRECIOUS HOME WORLD
We live in a beautiful world, teaming with a diversity of amazing species and natural wonders. And here we all are, over 7 billion of us, trying to share one incredible home, we call Earth.
Most humans are compassionate, caring individuals who would like to see justice, equality and respect prevail. So why then, is our world in such a state? Nearly every major catastrophe facing our world and our future has been caused by the accumulative damage of human action, and inaction.
Because we have, knowingly or not, created this mess together, the only way these problems can be healed is if we all pitch in and help to solve them.
If you are sick and tired of witnessing acts of cruelty and atrocity towards people, animals, and the environment, as a concerned, compassionate person, you may take part in the global solution to help heal our troubled world.
BE PART OF THE SOLUTION— or there won’t be one.
THE MOST IMPORTANT WAYS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
* Exercise your purchasing power. Whether we like it or not, our society is influenced by the “almighty dollar”. Companies and governments are affected by the way you use your money. Companies produce what sells, and remove those items that don’t. If you avoid purchasing products which you consider unethical, or environmentally-damaging, that company will be encouraged to stop producing it. What we purchase can destroy a rainforest, or wipe out a species (such as the near, and possible, extinction of the leopard due to the fur coat industry). On the other hand, what we buy can be an instrument for positive change. People who demand products that are not tested on animals, have reduced the number of animals suffering and dying from LD50 tests. Those who buy recycled or plantation timber are helping to protect what is left of old growth forests. Think before you spend!
* If you are eligible to vote, exercise your democratic right to choose the people who will represent you and your concerns in government. Pay attention to the various political parties and government representatives standpoints and policies on environmental protection, animal welfare, and human rights. If a political party or politician has no policies on these crucial issues, demand that they divulge their actual policies. If they have no such policies to deal humanely with these vital issues, it will be time to look elsewhere.
* Our lifestyle choices have the greatest impact on our world. What we eat, the amount of resources we consume, how we dispose of what we use, the companies we support, whether we show compassion to other people, display respect for non-human animals and the environment, whether we are making an effort to contribute to a better society—all these lifestyle choices make a difference. We all need to ask ourselves how we can improve our habits and lifestyles to have the greatest positive impact for change.
What else can you do?
Whether you are concerned about one issue, or many, there are a few other valuable things you can do to help.
* Don’t let yourself become overwhelmed by the scope of change needed to heal our world. Choose a small place to start. Select the issues that strike the deepest chord in you, the topics that move you enough to contribute your time and attention. Decide what you can do to help, and DO IT! And do it regularly!
* A few popular ways to help include volunteering your services to particular charities and organizations; regular donations; staying informed and educating others about issues; signing petitions and writing to governments, companies and newspapers. Share information on popular social media sites such as Pinterest, Twitter, Youtube, Google+, and Facebook. Even setting up a special free site, blog, or social media page can make a huge difference to getting the information out there. Organizations have also used virtual marches to get success. There are many other ways to make a difference. You might even come up with your own great way to pitch in. If you have any suggestions how individuals or organizations can help, please note them in the comment section below.